Tuna Belly with Iberico Cured Jowl and Thyme
- Shiso Sauce
- Smoked salt
- Black pepper
- Cured iberico jowl. You can also use iberico smoked bacon. We are looked for a meat with very high quality fat that will melt and create an umami flavor when heated.
- Tuna belly steak
- Drizzle olive oil on the tuna and rub all over.
- Sear the tuna on a high heat pan on both sides. Make sure to add some smoked salt with searing. Remove when brown on both sides.
- Plate the tuna. cover it with thin slices of cured iberico jowl (papada). You can use any high quality fatty meat. Smoked bacon can work too.
- Put a table spoon of shiso sauce on top.
- Add olive oil, thyme bunch and cracked black peper.
- The final touch that brings it all together. Take a blowtorch to the top of the dish to temper the cured meat and allow the aromatics of the thyme to release. Umami release!
Enjoy! Comment below if you tried this and what you thought. Tell us any variations you tried.